Building a Bond with Billie (Part 2 of 3)



How does one even prepare for the magical experience of interacting with young chimpanzees? I mean - besides the COVID vaccine and subsequent boosters, the yellow fever vaccine, the hepatitis shot, the tetanus shot, the TB test, and yes...even the series of three rabies vaccines!  Sharing 98.8% of their DNA with humans, chimps are very susceptible to the same infectious diseases as we are.  

With the necessary inoculations out of the way, the next item on the get-ready-to-be-with-chimps-checklist was to brief us on what to wear, as well as what not to wear:

* Do wear comfortable clothes.

* Do remove glasses, necklaces, watches, earrings, and bracelets.

* Do not carry phones in our hands or in our pockets.

* Do wear a mask 

* (Noticing my humidity-induced mop of curls growing by the minute:)  Do tie your hair back - and not in a ponytail that is "grabbable"!  Hence the French braid that lies flat against the back of my head.

Prior to romping with these playful primates, we donned "official" UWEC (Uganda Wildlife Education Centre) jumpsuits, and were supplied with unpeeled banana slices with which we filled our pockets. 

Then, from our guide, Dan:

"Do not feed the chimps. Let them approach you, find the bananas, and reach for the pieces themselves."  

I surmised the reason for these directives was to help the chimpanzees understand that we were trustworthy, safe, non-reactionary at their approach, and willing to share.

Walking alongside a metal, wire "tunnel" that connected their indoor habitat to the small jungle at the UWEC, every 25 feet or so, a gated door opened, until the final one yielded entrance to their play yard.

As the metal barrier slid open, four orphaned chimps "knuckle-trotted" towards us.  Between 4 and 7 years old, these young primates likely ranged from 30 to 40 pounds, were a mass of solid-muscle-on-the-move, stronger than they look, and curious about us - the visitors in their leafy, timbered haven.  

No doubt, they followed the scent which led the chimps to where we awaited, as we granted them access to scavenge for the stowed bananas.  As our faith in each other grew, so did their urgency to acquire more fruit, as well as their interest in the humans who were harboring those bite-sized nibbley bits.



Billie reaching for bananas



I learned that we don't "choose" them, but rather, they "choose" us.  It was impossible to select the one we wanted to lift into our arms.  They decided upon whose hip, back, neck, or legs they would "ride", and we accepted their decisions - eager to know that we had gained their trust.  

From nearly the moment they entered their protected jungle, "Billie" attached herself to me, like ivy to a wall. She instinctively wrapped her arms tightly around my neck, almost daring her peers to even try to divert my attention from her.  

To demonstrate her bourgeoning bond with me, Billie swung herself behind me, piggyback style, and promptly began grooming the end of my braid.

                 
 

Later, as she nestled into my lap and began tidying the front of my hair, "Dan the Man"  instructed insistently:

"Groom her! Groom her!"

So I nipped at her body with gentle fingers, reassuring her with a calm voice - thanking her for seeing enough good in me to allow this intimate interaction.

So humanlike in their behaviors, as long as we disregard such antics as doing flips off of our backs, effortlessly clambering up anything vertical (including people!), and drumming on my head, these little guys and girls seemed eager to welcome guests into the safety of their jungle. (Or was it banana incentivized??) Either way, I found them to be charming, exhausting, entertaining, and where Billie was concerned - possessive!

As these were orphaned chimps, I wondered how much of their behavior was instinctual versus learned from observing the rescued adult primates in nearby enclosures.  I pondered Billie's need to have her body in nearly constant contact with mine. Perhaps she remembered the feel of her mother's touch from long ago, or the comfort of simple proximity to someone under whose watchful eye she felt protected.

Being my unremitting companion for the duration of my chimpanzee experience, Billie enjoyed hugging me, so I returned her hugs.  She, somehow, knew to pat my back, so I returned the favor.  She understood that grooming was a way to demonstrate friendship and build trust, so I gladly reciprocated the overtures.  I recognized that, because I was in her environment, it was imperative to follow her lead.  With every touch,  I felt more honored to be in her midst.


Walking further into the forested play yard, my steadfast "compadre" settled herself onto my hip until we stopped for a photo op among the branches and lush foliage.  In lieu of climbing the trees with her friends, Billie held tightly to my neck, as if she knew our alliance for the day would be short-lived.  How I wished that weren't the case!  The thought occurred to me, that the passage of time can be a double edged sword.  Days, hours, or minutes can often feel like an eternity, and when we want to hold onto an enchanted moment (like the one below) for as long as possible, it slips through our fingers faster than a ball can roll downhill. 



The walk from the verdant jungle back to the gate of the cold metal tunnel, that would lead these young primates back to their indoor habitat, felt "heavy".  Had the heat and humidity taken its toll on me?  Were the bottoms of my UWEC-issued rain boots caked with mud, making each step feel leaden? Or was it the core of my being, my heart, that felt pulled in the opposite direction of where this humbling experience both began and would soon end. 





Reinforcing the delicate balance of respect that must exist between humans and other species, this up-close encounter with the chimpanzees was life-changing.  

With a mix of emotions, I stood there, filled with gratitude for having had an experience that I never would have thought possible.  I felt privileged at having been entrusted with the opportunity to hold, touch, and groom these remarkable creatures.  There was sadness that time had elapsed too quickly.  And there was an almost overwhelming need for me to know that I would return.

If my heart had existed outside of the UWEC-issued jumpsuit I was wearing, I would have watched it return with Billie, to her living quarters, and then silently asked her to take care of it until I see her again. 




© Cre8ive Writes, LLC  2023

 




Comments

Popular Posts