Thumbs Up!!




When the gravitational pull of a thumb ring initially descended upon me, the desire to understand its beckoning seemed insignificant.  Now, many years later, and after conducting a bit of research for this article, what came to light was edifying and coincided with the realm of how I see myself:

"When you wear a ring on your thumb, it means that you're a firm believer in willpower...you're free to think of whatever you want, but the opportunity to grasp that thing you want lies within you." ("Karen" from Spiritual Galaxy - Trust the Universe Blog)

"Wearing a thumb ring is a bold statement. But if you're the sort of person who defies convention, marches to the beat of her drum, and doesn't care what people think, you'll put your creativity and self-expression first...Depending on what you need to invite into your life - whether it's health...or that extra kick of confidence - a thumb ring can be a great way to remind yourself of what you value every time you wear it." (Boho Magic Journal)

"The thumb connects to Mars.  This particular finger is one of the most powerful.  It has strong ties to a person's willpower, determination, and how self-reliant they are.  It is strong and, in many ways, it can take control of many of the hand's chores.  For that reason, it relates directly to Mars - the lone planet." (from the Serpentine Yoga website)

Who knew?!  No wonder the calling had been so compelling!

I first acknowledged the thought about 8 years ago - (or had I actually spoken these words out loud?)

"I really want a thumb ring!"

Because it was something I had never sought, I ignored the notion, as best I could, for as long as I could.  When the inkling became a permanent fixture, etched in my mind as if it were carved into granite, I knew I had to follow my instinct.

So...the search began:

Department stores, flea markets, antique shops, kitschy boutiques, kiosks...

Yet, my pursuit came up empty following each excursion.

My friend, Amy, once told me, when a thought I wanted to share with her had gone AWOL:

"Let the rabbit go."

Meaning that, if I stopped trying so hard, it would come back.

I applied her sage advice to my quest for a thumb ring and let that elusive cottontail hop away.

Fast forward to the spring of 2017, and my last night of a women's trip to Israel.  The group was leaving our hotel for a final few hours of shopping, singing, and dancing on the lively Ben Yehuda Street in Jerusalem.  Knowing the route from our lodging to the destination, I suggested that they go ahead while I put my guitar back in my room, assuring them I would follow shortly.

I found that I relished the independence of finding my own way in a different country, as well as the solitude to immerse myself in my own thoughts while taking in the nightlife around me.  The personal challenges I was undergoing at that time seemed to lighten as I inhaled the scents, feelings, history, and vibe of a place to which I would always long to return.

The energy on Ben Yehuda street was palpable, as I stepped into its traffic-free zone.  Before reuniting with my "travel sisters", I stopped in the one jewelry store that I had, somehow, missed on my first swipe through this district, days ago.

Perusing the cases of shiny metal, I noticed a display of silver rings with Hebrew writing cut out of their circumferences.  Being semi-fluent in this language, I knew the English translation of the various phrases.

And there, nestled in between a handful of meaningful axioms, sat my thumb ring - glinting with a brightness, I was certain, that only I could see.

That fugitive bunny had found its way back to me!

I read the Hebrew words:

"Gam zeh ya'avor", meaning, "This, too, shall pass".

Out of its glass enclosure and onto my thumb, I stared at it encircling my opposable digit.

The dual interpretation of this simple quote made it impossible for me NOT to claim it as my own, as I quickly paid for my new treasure, walked out of the store, and let the meaning of its words sink in:

There are moments, in all of our lives, which can elicit distress, pain, angst, worry, or any other host of despondent emotions - the death of a loved one, troubled relationships, not meeting our own or others' expectations, or even the gloom of a rainy day.  "Gam zeh ya'avor" has become my talisman, a reminder that things will always get better.  It may take longer than we hope, but that closed-in feeling will, at some point, dissipate, yielding the way to brighter days ahead.

In contrast, "This, too, shall pass" articulates the requisite for us to hold on to those precious seconds which we pray will last forever - the moment our children and grandchildren first enter our lives, the serenity of a sunrise or a sunset, the expanse of snow-capped mountains in the distance, a star-filled sky on a clear night, frolicking with chimpanzees in Africa - because, all too quickly, they will elapse, leaving us with beautiful memories and the longing to turn back time.

Locating the rest of my group, I excitedly displayed the new trinket that hugged my thumb, explaining its significance and the different ways in which to construe its indelible phrase.

"Oh!  I love that!"

"Where did you get it?"

"Do you mind if I get the same one?"

"Must I wear it on my thumb?"

Returning to the hotel to pack for our journey back home, we snapped this photo:



Just as we each adorned a different finger, the same ring represented a multitude of principles to which we each ascribed. 

This amulet, that never leaves my thumb, has come to signify many things to me:

* I am an individual - with choices, opinions, and aspirations of my own.
* I can be who I am, even if other people don't always understand me.
* I am open to different ideas and growth within my own life.
* I do not always have to follow the crowd.
* I have my own sense of style, and I am ok with that.
* I am both grounded and strengthened by its double entendre.

               


No matter where I go, or with whom, this one piece of jewelry is firmly affixed to my right thumb.

By heeding my inner voice (or my actual vocalization) so many years ago, I had stumbled upon a bauble that wholly represented who I am.  

Since that last night in Israel, in 2017, my right hand , (hence the rest of me), is easily identifiable in any photo.  Its dual connotation "rings" true when applied to every situation that arises.  While it may not be the most conventional adornment, the significance of the phrase that encircles my thumb is a steadfast reminder of how I choose to embrace life's circumstances.   

"Gam zeh ya'vor", "This, too, shall pass."......

It has a nice "ring" to it, wouldn't you say?




© Cre8ive Writes, LLC  2023


Comments

  1. I love it &I'm so glad you let yourself & listened to yourself as you found the thumb ring which had the most meaning to you. My wedding band ring is in Hebrew &it is from Israel. I love love love it! It has the engraved letters in Hebrew, I am unto my beloved and my beloved is unto me. This is Robin.. your highschool friend who used to go to your house and you played the guitar and we would sing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for reading, Robin! Sometimes, we simply must go with our gut!! XOXO

      Delete
  2. The statement on your ring is so perfect, especially for what Israel is going through now. I pray they win their tragedies and "this too shall pass."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts